• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Life Event

Rob my friend. Thought of you last night and I see a post from you today.
Let’s connect over a call when you can (been ages since the last one).
And thanks for keeping us motivated with your encouraging story thus far.

so good to hear an update and that you are kicking A$$. My Sis is dealing with Bladder Cancer and your journey has been motivational in keeping her grounded. Keep up the fight, F$#K Cancer !!!

Yesterday I committed to undergoing radiation treatment for the lesions on my spine. It’s never a good time so I’m hoping I made the right decision. The goal is to administer palliative care to sustain mobility. The fear is doing nothing now could result in paralysis if the lesions were to press on my spinal cord in the future.

My Mom who is 90+ years old suffered another fall last Friday. I’m traveling 3 hours a day to see her. Originally in the ICU she was downgraded to a regular hospital room on Monday but the UTI she had progressed to sepsis and she isn’t doing well.

The doctors continue to run tests and each time they do anything she complains they are hurting her. She is confused, disoriented and speaking incoherently. There’s nothing quite as painful as watching your Mom endure such torture even though we are trying to help.

Mom refuses to eat almost everything, barely consuming a few mouthfuls. She has said she’s full, it is cold, it’s dry, it doesn’t taste good, she can’t. It pains me to see someone who isn’t willing to try. I’m built differently. I just do. Tell me I need to eat a scorpion and I’ll get it down. I need to accept we are all different.

The decision now is whether to keep her in hospital or bring her home. She can’t stand or walk. She has a catheter, won’t eat and is fitted with oxygen. Her arms are all bruised from the needles and IVs. Will bringing her home make her stand on her own? Will she be able to use the bathroom like she used to? Will being home make her want to eat again? Will her infection clear and will it restore her mental state? Or will bringing her home simply allow her to decide where and how she will die? In familiar surroundings with her things about her. Mom didn’t decide to have an infection, to fall, to be injured or go to the hospital. Perhaps we need to give her this last decision and make it hers.

Cancer isn’t hard. Watching your Mom let go is hard. I can fight cancer. There’s nothing I can do for her other than be there. Every time she opened her eyes I smiled back despite my eyes welling up with tears. I want to keep her with me but I know letting her go is more important. This is the most difficult decision of my life.

I’m hurting so much.

Yesterday I committed to undergoing radiation treatment for the lesions on my spine. It’s never a good time so I’m hoping I made the right decision. The goal is to administer palliative care to sustain mobility. The fear is doing nothing now could result in paralysis if the lesions were to press on my spinal cord in the future.

My Mom who is 90+ years old suffered another fall last Friday. I’m traveling 3 hours a day to see her. Originally in the ICU she was downgraded to a regular hospital room on Monday but the UTI she had progressed to sepsis and she isn’t doing well.

The doctors continue to run tests and each time they do anything she complains they are hurting her. She is confused, disoriented and speaking incoherently. There’s nothing quite as painful as watching your Mom endure such torture even though we are trying to help.

Mom refuses to eat almost everything, barely consuming a few mouthfuls. She has said she’s full, it is cold, it’s dry, it doesn’t taste good, she can’t. It pains me to see someone who isn’t willing to try. I’m built differently. I just do. Tell me I need to eat a scorpion and I’ll get it down. I need to accept we are all different.

The decision now is whether to keep her in hospital or bring her home. She can’t stand or walk. She has a catheter, won’t eat and is fitted with oxygen. Her arms are all bruised from the needles and IVs. Will bringing her home make her stand on her own? Will she be able to use the bathroom like she used to? Will being home make her want to eat again? Will her infection clear and will it restore her mental state? Or will bringing her home simply allow her to decide where and how she will die? In familiar surroundings with her things about her. Mom didn’t decide to have an infection, to fall, to be injured or go to the hospital. Perhaps we need to give her this last decision and make it hers.

Cancer isn’t hard. Watching your Mom let go is hard. I can fight cancer. There’s nothing I can do for her other than be there. Every time she opened her eyes I smiled back despite my eyes welling up with tears. I want to keep her with me but I know letting her go is more important. This is the most difficult decision of my life.

I’m hurting so much.
This decision next to having to make one about your children is the hardest. I watched my wife say goodbye to both of her parents within a 2 month span. I wish you and you family peace and clarity. It sucks, it's tough, there is no easy way. 🙏

I’m hurting so much.
🙏

I’m hurting so much.
I'm praying for you my friend. 🙏

stay strong 💪

Head up and Shoulders back brother, you've got this! Your Family (Immediate and Oakley) is here and you are in our thoughts and prayers! Stay strong during chemo and evict that bitch!

💪💪💪

Back