• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rx Frames Curvature Question

testcodes

Oakley Beginner
Hi guys, so I'm due to get new glasses in a couple weeks. I usually wear contacts 95% of the time, so I don't really want to pay too much for these glasses. I used to just grab something off of the optometrist's store that looks fairly good on me, but this time around I'm thinking about getting an Oakley frame instead.

So the plan is to get the frame online and get my optometrist to install lenses on them. This is because my insurance does not cover Oakley glasses. So I'll be paying for the frames out of pocket, but I can at least have the insurance cover the lenses. The problem though is, from a quick chat with my optometrist, he mentioned that they couldn't do Rx lenses for frames with high curvature.

Anyone know what the highest base curve non-Oakley lens makers can do?

Something like the Crosslink with a base curve of 6 seems to much. But I'm thinking the Splinter with a base curve of 4 should be doable I'm guessing?

Thanks

You can do 8 base curve with Oakley True Digital (OTD) Edge (or 6 base at the very minimum). The Edge version can accommodate a range of +4.00 to -6.00.

As for non-Oakley brands, I would check out Zeiss.

I have had non-Oakley Rx lenses made for several of my Oakley frames with 8 base curvature.
Perhaps your optometrist was speaking about the particular lab that makes Rx lenses for him when he said that "they couldn't do Rx lenses for frames with high curvature." Or maybe something about your prescription makes it difficult to produce?
If your optometrist says he cannot make Rx lenses for your Oakley frame, perhaps you could get a second opinion from another optometrist.

Latest Posts

Back