• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Life Event

God bless you and your family my friend. I hate to hear you're having to fight this battle, but as long as you have folks who love and care for you, you won't have to fight it alone. Having a good support system goes along way, as does mind set. Stay positive, pray, and leave it in God's hands and you'll be victorious! 🙏

I was going to PM this but figured if anyone else was going through it or knows someone…

Hey bud… don’t think we’ve ever chatted but I hope you’re receiving good care. My dad was diagnosed stage 4 in 2016 at 65 after a false negative in 2015.. prostate removed in 2017, radiation, lupron. chemo, clear for 2 years or so…ribs lit up a little, back on lupron. November 2021 diagnosed with a large melanoma in a lymphnode in his neck.. keytruda, surgery, keytruda for 10 more months and is cancer free…a rough road for sure…he’s due for surgery to fix his Incontinence and an implant for recreational purposes.. if you’re looking at options seek out Dr Eugene Kwon at Mayo in Rochester, MN. He only takes tough cases. After some not great care here locally in STL…. Keep your chin up brother..

I know first hand about sudden life events too. Ended up with a heart transplant 22 years ago in 2000 at the age of 21.. went from fine to not fine over a week… went to an urgent care, then an ambulance to a hospital.. next to another hospital and ended up transplanted 2 days later… walked into the urgent care 7/26/2000 and transplanted 7/29/2000.

Don’t know you but wish you the best. Certainly have a battle ahead of you. Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately in my field I’ve seen this situation too many times.

I am hopeful that sharing your story has encouraged a handful of us other middle aged/older men to get a simple blood test.

I know this thread is regarding prostate CA but if I could also encourage everybody to get their colonoscopies as well. Something most people put off or avoid because they don’t want a camera stuck up their ass. But the difference between early detection of a pre-cancerous polyp (easy snip removal) vs invasive colon CA (chemo, surgery) is astronomical in terms treatment and prognosis.

In regards to your “things” I too have sometimes wondered why I have these things and what is the point. All I can say is, my hobbies bring me joy. As I’m sure they have done for you too. Life is hard enough to get through. And if I can lose myself in my hobbies for a few hours every so often, it’s worth it. Don’t feel bad about it.

I wish you and your family the best in your fight.

I was going to PM this but figured if anyone else was going through it or knows someone…

Hey bud… don’t think we’ve ever chatted but I hope you’re receiving good care. My dad was diagnosed stage 4 in 2016 at 65 after a false negative in 2015.. prostate removed in 2017, radiation, lupron. chemo, clear for 2 years or so…ribs lit up a little, back on lupron. November 2021 diagnosed with a large melanoma in a lymphnode in his neck.. keytruda, surgery, keytruda for 10 more months and is cancer free…a rough road for sure…he’s due for surgery to fix his Incontinence and an implant for recreational purposes.. if you’re looking at options seek out Dr Eugene Kwon at Mayo in Rochester, MN. He only takes tough cases. After some not great care here locally in STL…. Keep your chin up brother..

I know first hand about sudden life events too. Ended up with a heart transplant 22 years ago in 2000 at the age of 21.. went from fine to not fine over a week… went to an urgent care, then an ambulance to a hospital.. next to another hospital and ended up transplanted 2 days later… walked into the urgent care 7/26/2000 and transplanted 7/29/2000.
Stories like this are emotional, uplifting yet tragic, motivational and a powerful testament to the strength of individuals, medicine, the power of support and prayer. I said there are dark moments when we feel alone but we are not alone. Thank you and God bless to all impacted.

Last nights Super Bowl there was a cancer commercial. As soon as it started I had a feeling that was what it would be. It invoked a Very emotional response. On the flip side we won the halftime pool and scored $550. We went from happy with the money to sad pretty quickly but at the end of the day we still won so I’m moving forward each day saying I’m going to win.

Second round of chemotherapy yesterday. Things did not go well. I had a bad reaction to the treatment and the nurses immediately stopped the infusion. Within minutes of taking the IV I began to feel extremely hot. It started in my neck, face and temples. The pain in my back was like a spasm and the nurses said I became flushed.

I was surrounded by at least 4-5 people and they called the oncologist. He advised them to hit me with more steroid, Benadryl and Pepcid. After nearly an hour waiting for me to stabilize he told me he was going to challenge the treatment again. I asked what alternatives are there. He said there are none. I have the get through this. I took the rest of the bag without incident.

My arms are starting to burn from the chemo. Looking like a heroin addiction they recommended I get a port placed. I have to get it surgically inserted beneath the skin in my chest with a catheter into a vein in my neck.

On a side note the bills keep rolling in. The PET scan I had done was $46,000.

There was one really good news story despite all this. If you remember my PSA was 1690. Normal range is anything less than a 4. They did bloodwork and I scored 11.7 Needless to say when they gave me the results it was an emotional moment.

Second round of chemotherapy yesterday. Things did not go well. I had a bad reaction to the treatment and the nurses immediately stopped the infusion. Within minutes of taking the IV I began to feel extremely hot. It started in my neck, face and temples. The pain in my back was like a spasm and the nurses said I became flushed.

I was surrounded by at least 4-5 people and they called the oncologist. He advised them to hit me with more steroid, Benadryl and Pepcid. After nearly an hour waiting for me to stabilize he told me he was going to challenge the treatment again. I asked what alternatives are there. He said there are none. I have the get through this. I took the rest of the bag without incident.

My arms are starting to burn from the chemo. Looking like a heroin addiction they recommended I get a port placed. I have to get it surgically inserted beneath the skin in my chest with a catheter into a vein in my neck.

On a side note the bills keep rolling in. The PET scan I had done was $46,000.

There was one really good news story despite all this. If you remember my PSA was 1690. Normal range is anything less than a 4. They did bloodwork and I scored 11.7 Needless to say when they gave me the results it was an emotional moment.

Back