• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What’s the Number of Active Members on O.F.?

I think people come and go but allot lurk. Most who do a google search on just about anything Oakley get steered to the forum by search engines such as google. As far as serious collectors with the passion for collecting and sharing their hobby online and come to the forum on daily basis to not only learn but also to contribute is a smaller number. I mean we all are a little crazy for having 300 pairs or more of Oakleys and dedicated rooms and there are certainly fewer of us than your guy who has 10 pair and is satisfied.

There was a period in time where the "old timers" got a little out of hand to especially newcomers and real especially to a newcomer who wants to sell something and that caused allot of people to go silent because no one wants to be made to feel stupid. I myself stayed silent because of this for quite a few years because I got ripped apart when I was brand new to the forum and made the mistake of posting my ebay item in a sales thread (for which OB later messaged me and said it was ok and they were not right for blowing up my thread). Mostly though those guys have vanished because I think we are allot better of a forum as far as being helpful these days and less egotistical and demeaning which seems to have all but disappeared when the OG revolt happened. A few stayed behind and continued to berate but calling those people out in the open and holding them accountable to their bad behaviours seems to have put that in the minority these days. I have called out a few who ran people off as soon as they joined and I started doing that when ebay changed to the point that selling there is not at all desirable. Plus my collection has gotten large enough that I decided not to let the bully crowd keep me quiet and in the shadows any longer and I decided I would not only stand up for myself but the newcomers who got slammed the first day they join.

The past 3 out of 4 X metals I have sold recently went to guys who had really low stats and are not openly active and I see that as a great thing because I am seeing more people posting items for sale as well and yes they sometimes overestimate their values and might not make a perfect listing the first couple of times but everyone who hangs out long enough here gets it eventually that this is not a place to sell overpriced listings and they will sit unsold.

I will end it by saying allot of collectors do not require the comradery and being known and there are allot of really impressive collections out there no one knows about. It was that way with me for years until as stated above I realized my stuff needed to be known before I kick a bucket someday so my kids can come in behind me and monetize the collection. By making some good friends here and finding the good people my kids will now have someone to bounce things off of when they want to sell something but are not sure exactly what it is or its current value.

Forgive my long typing ... got a new hip this week and the surgery kinda went south so on some great pain meds at the moment o_O Hopefully I made sense.

Last edited:
I think people come and go but allot lurk. Most who do a google search on just about anything Oakley get steered to the forum by search engines such as google. As far as serious collectors with the passion for collecting and sharing their hobby online and come to the forum on daily basis to not only learn but also to contribute is a smaller number. I mean we all are a little crazy for having 300 pairs or more of Oakleys and dedicated rooms and there are certainly fewer of us than your guy who has 10 pair and is satisfied.

There was a period in time where the "old timers" got a little out of hand to especially newcomers and real especially to a newcomer who wants to sell something and that caused allot of people to go silent because no one wants to be made to feel stupid. I myself stayed silent because of this for quite a few years because I got ripped apart when I was brand new to the forum and made the mistake of posting my ebay item in a sales thread (for which OB later messaged me and said it was ok and they were not right for blowing up my thread). Mostly though those guys have vanished because I think we are allot better of a forum as far as being helpful these days and less egotistical and demeaning which seems to have all but disappeared when the OG revolt happened. A few stayed behind and continued to berate but calling those people out in the open and holding them accountable to their bad behaviours seems to have put that in the minority these days. I have called out a few who ran people off as soon as they joined and I started doing that when ebay changed to the point that selling there is not at all desirable. Plus my collection has gotten large enough that I decided not to let the bully crowd keep me quiet and in the shadows any longer and I decided I would not only stand up for myself but the newcomers who got slammed the first day they join.

The past 3 out of 4 X metals I have sold recently went to guys who had really low stats and are not openly active and I see that as a great thing because I am seeing more people posting items for sale as well and yes they sometimes overestimate their values and might not make a perfect listing the first couple of times but everyone who hangs out long enough here gets it eventually that this is not a place to sell overpriced listings and they will sit unsold.

I will end it by saying allot of collectors do not require the comradery and being known and there are allot of really impressive collections out there no one knows about. It was that way with me for years until as stated above I realized my stuff needed to be known before I kick a bucket someday so my kids can come in behind me and monetize the collection. By making some good friends here and finding the good people my kids will now have someone to bounce things off of when they want to sell something but are not sure exactly what it is or its current value.

Forgive my long typing ... got a new hip this week and the surgery kinda went south so on some great pain meds at the moment o_O Hopefully I made sense.
Wow. Hope you get better soon. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Yeah, I agree, if you’re new and trying to get answers or sell something or post anything at all, you can sometimes get shredded. I guess it happens in every forum and in every profession.

It is more off putting when you’re new and don’t know what you don’t know as well as you feel insecure when you see the massive collections and knowledge here. Like moving from middleschool to highschool! 😅

OF has it’s own culture, but people who have never lived (either physically or online) in another culture don’t even realise the assumptions they make and they’re expectations of others (or perhaps they’re aware, which I think, makes it worse). Sometimes I’m sure it’s benign, like a cat playing with a mouse, only it’s not so fun if you’re the mouse!

We all had to start from the point of not knowing how it works here.

OF was the first online forum I ever joined and I had literally no idea how to act, get information or post. I was like one of those guys who needed something, so I joined, like you said. Was just looking for replacement juliet lenses for my only pair of Oakleys!!

I remember getting corrected for writing “re:” in thread titles (I saw it like the subject line of an email, so it seemed to make sense to me) and not knowing what the correct expectations were of a seller (a kind OFer took the time to PM me and reassure me about my concerns, when he sensed I felt a little “picked on” in the forum). Heck, I didn’t even know what ISO meant, or how to tell a custom cut lens from a real one when I first started!!!

Anyhow, hopefully things are changing.

Wow. Hope you get better soon. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Yeah, I agree, if you’re new and trying to get answers or sell something or post anything at all, you can sometimes get shredded. I guess it happens in every forum and in every profession.

It is more off putting when you’re new and don’t know what you don’t know as well as you feel insecure when you see the massive collections and knowledge here. Like moving from middleschool to highschool! 😅

OF has it’s own culture, but people who have never lived (either physically or online) in another culture don’t even realise the assumptions they make and they’re expectations of others (or perhaps they’re aware, which I think, makes it worse). Sometimes I’m sure it’s benign, like a cat playing with a mouse, only it’s not so fun if you’re the mouse!

We all had to start from the point of not knowing how it works here.

OF was the first online forum I ever joined and I had literally no idea how to act, get information or post. I was like one of those guys who needed something, so I joined, like you said. Was just looking for replacement juliet lenses for my only pair of Oakleys!!

I remember getting corrected for writing “re:” in thread titles (I saw it like the subject line of an email, so it seemed to make sense to me) and not knowing what the correct expectations were of a seller (a kind OFer took the time to PM me and reassure me about my concerns, when he sensed I felt a little “picked on” in the forum). Heck, I didn’t even know what ISO meant, or how to tell a custom cut lens from a real one when I first started!!!

Anyhow, hopefully things are changing.
Very true on many points there... it sucks to be the mouse. I know you are right about other forums back in the day when it was at its worse here. That was a period in time where someone who might be the nicest person you ever meet in person was a total A hole online because everyone grew internet balls and treated others poorly. I think in todays world with all the politic battles and crap that happens people are more cognizant that its an actual human they are beating up not just a computer screen.

I saw it as a bunch of old schoolers with huge ego's that they felt grew by degrading others. At that time I was also not as old and grumpy and intolerant of that kind of stuff so going quiet was an easy choice.

I think it still happens now and then and even I have had a bad day in RL and come online all pissy and not been nice as I could have been but I never tried to up my reputation by tearing down others. We are humans and I don't think any forum can exist without some degree of it.

I carry a much higher opinion of this forum these days though. I see others helping others and it is always cool to see a young person or someone just starting and watch them have that same fun we had in the beginning. I would for sure agree this is a better place than it use to be.

I know one thing that honestly gets members to stop coming here on a daily basis and that is if you do not have real strong self control you can end up dumping 10 grand in a weekend here. Then there are all these "special releases" and if you try to keep up with that it adds up super fast. I have noticed several members back off visiting here just because their wife is going to murder them in their sleep if they run up any more credit cards 😂

Thank you for your concern... this round of surgery has been a lot bigger deal than some of the others I have had. An interesting thing about titanium I learned this week is human bone bonds to it stronger and better than most other metals! They had to remove a rod from my leg to attach the hip and it had so much bone grown onto it a planned 2 hour surgery turned into a 8.5 hour surgery. I am getting through it though and have some real high hopes the end result will be getting my life back so I can go enjoy the outdoors again.

Back