• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

SpecialAdvisor’s Mad Labs - Mars Leather Mods Plus

Here is my vision bought to life by Wavecloud.
06053c9578cb7f833cbbd061ea44d6f7.jpg

It would be great to have an alternative source of getting this sort of work done - good luck!

Here is my vision bought to life by Wavecloud.
View attachment 1090796

It would be great to have an alternative source of getting this sort of work done - good luck!

Larry and Wavecloud are clearly pros. I’m just a retired tinker at best which is why I don’t sell stuff. Just usually do it for family and friends 🪖👍

That is some nice work!

Morning OF! Now some of this stuff is just guess and check till I get a pair of Craters in my hands. Also don't suppose anyone has a photo of 'actual' Mars leathers laid out flat?

Also...is there adhesive involved? Almost gotta be. Especially around the temples. Those few lines of stitching thread can't be doing the whole job. The fun part is going to be lining up the stitching holes.

In this image the hand traced forms have been vector traced (which gave me sizing data). This is one basic starting point for 3D modeling. You can start a model's foundation/base/whatever the actual term is from vectors. Here you can see the left and right wings are not quite the same size. I'll probably do the first test on the frames with painters tape for size fine tuning...even cheaper than leather.

Again bear in mind I'm self taught and not knowing what the heck I'm doin I sometimes go along way around the block to find the destination...hey it's amusing to watch me stumble around if nothing else ;)

Oakley Mars Leather Template 003 4x6.png

I was trying to dig up some more assemble/disassemble info on Mars Frames in general. @Lopaka KaMars and @THE X-MAN?!?! You have 'got' to be kidding me with that Mars C-Ring removal? OK...putting the new ones on not so bad...but dang the removal...sheesh. I'd be sure to ram that pointy thing right thru a lens or with my luck crack an occular 😱

I definitely need a cheap pair of 'replicas' to experiment on...I say again DANG!

Sadly, I’ve gouged a few lenses myself trying to take off those rings. Just carelessness on my part. Sticking a tiny screwdriver in between and twisting to spread open more is about the only way I know of. I only use my side cutters if there isn’t enough room for a screwdriver.

I believe that! After that video I was less inclined to swap lenses.

The snakeskin in the bottom left of your sample pic would look coolest IMO.

Oh…I’ll be doing more than one once I get the hang of it 😏👍

No snakeskin there…the bottom-left is a light pink (looks white in the pic) stingray I used to make my Wife a watch band. The brownish-gold next to it is salmon leather if you can believe it…😀

Back