• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are these the same lenses or am I going mad ?

Slojack is spot on with his notes. I do know that Maritime was released in different iterations so the reflective coating will look different from the exterior. It's possible that it may alter what colors you perceive looking through as well. It's completely possible both of them are Maritime lenses. If it is a trusted dealer, the box and sticker were accurate, and the SKU on the interior of the frame is what it's supposed to be, odds are it is a Maritime lens.

Slojack is spot on with his notes. I do know that Maritime was released in different iterations so the reflective coating will look different from the exterior. It's possible that it may alter what colors you perceive looking through as well. It's completely possible both of them are Maritime lenses. If it is a trusted dealer, the box and sticker were accurate, and the SKU on the interior of the frame is what it's supposed to be, odds are it is a Maritime lens.
Cheers. I appreciate you taking the time. So the reality is it’s pot luck if I ordered another pair whether it’s a good batch or not. Seems a wee bit lame on Oakley’s part if I’m honest.

Cheers. I appreciate you taking the time. So the reality is it’s pot luck if I ordered another pair whether it’s a good batch or not. Seems a wee bit lame on Oakley’s part if I’m honest.
I wouldn't entirely say a good or bad batch necessarily, but that is dependent on person to person. It's more akin to different generations for the same product, but thankfully no real decline in quality. I don't know when or why they changed the coating, in some way or another, to Maritime. I do know for a fact that the alteration happened.

I agree with you though on the change being an annoyance. I'm fairly certain there must have been a good reason to it, especially when you consider Maritime is strickly reserved for Standard Issue Oakleys.

I wouldn't entirely say a good or bad batch necessarily, but that is dependent on person to person. It's more akin to different generations for the same product, but thankfully no real decline in quality. I don't know when or why they changed the coating, in some way or another, to Maritime. I do know for a fact that the alteration happened.

I agree with you though on the change being an annoyance. I'm fairly certain there must have been a good reason to it, especially when you consider Maritime is strickly reserved for Standard Issue Oakleys.
I suppose I’ve now gotta work out which are the older model and go from there. My preference are the Straightlink lenses with that deep all green colour with no blues or purples.

The way the iridium is applied there is variations that is unavoidable. The lenses are held in pairs in big dish shaped jig that holds probably 100 pairs of lenses. And then the iridium coating applied in a vacuum and randomly spreads out across the whole batch. Ruby and fire seem to be the most noticable variations out of all the colors. You probably wont find a better maritime lens from and older frame or newer its all just chance. If you want to be able to pick your lens try to go to a store that has what you're after if you can and look through all the lenses they have and pick which one you like best.

The way the iridium is applied there is variations that is unavoidable. The lenses are held in pairs in big dish shaped jig that holds probably 100 pairs of lenses. And then the iridium coating applied in a vacuum and randomly spreads out across the whole batch. Ruby and fire seem to be the most noticable variations out of all the colors. You probably wont find a better maritime lens from and older frame or newer its all just chance. If you want to be able to pick your lens try to go to a store that has what you're after if you can and look through all the lenses they have and pick which one you like best.
Cheers ZWC0442. All these comments is exactly why I came on here. I knew you boys knew yer stuff. Will the SI models been sold in stores as I thought they could only be ordered on line and even then you have to register as US military or first responder. Being ex British Military 🇬🇧 I may get told to piss off 🤣.

Some oakley stores carry the si stuff I've seen. And they do have replacement lenses available usually as well if you just wanted to look through em and see if there's one you like better as far as the iridium color.

Take them to a body of water such as a pond or lake with another pair of glasses with different lenses... see if they improve your topwater visibility vs. the other pair (see waves or ripples you would not otherwise see). If that is the case they are maritime. It does sound like you may have a Jade there though.

Back