• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley goes sailing on the AC75?

OakLook

Oakley Enthusiast
I am following the America's Cup boat presentations and I have noticed a little piece of news among the partners listed on the Luna Rossa's mast:

IMG_20240419_110416~3.jpg

Not sure what is the plan here, the Luna Rossa's guys always wear the Prada Linea Rossa sunglasses, which is also produced by Luxottica, so I doubt we will see some special edition by Oakley. I coudn't find any official news about it.

I have seen the Americans and the Kiwi to wear some Oakleys though, they also wear helmets so I guess there is a potential for a collaboration / special edition, but Luna Rossa so far is the only team with a dedicated line of sunglasses already, so it was the less likely team to establish a sunglasses collaboration.

They use Prada's notorius water googles
Then whats Oakley's involvement is what I was getting at, since Lux doesn't own Prada. They wearing their hydrolix shirts or board shorts? The team flesh sandals as boat deck shoes, for the after party? Their involvement at this point makes as much sense as Redbull entering the organic cornflakes market.

They are using the Oakley logo/name but they are using Lux as their boat anchor. They can't just say LUX (Developer's of the most expensive boat anchors).... But should.

Lux doesn't own Prada
True, but Lux produces Prada's eyewear, and it's for sure by chance that the color of the Prada's mirrored lenses are very similar to the other eyeglasses in their portfolio. The eyeglasses worn by the LR team is a sub-brand called Linea Rossa which is like the sporty line by Prada (that does not seem to have a huge success, I doubt these products will break even).

Also the Prada goggles that the sailors are wearing on this boat are not available for sale, so I don't consider feasible that Lux is creating an assembly line for a product that cannot be sold, i.e. they might be rebranded goggles from the Lux portfolio. Thus I woudn't be surprised from if the goggles used by the sailors will soon be Oakleys, they can afford to create a new line of water goggles for the sailing athletes.

Also there are cyclors this time on the boats, they might have found some way to adverstise Oakley products already available in this field.

Latest Posts

Back