• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

VLT vs visibility of eyes behind sunglasses indoors

JohnLee

Oakley Beginner
I have some minor eyes cosmetic problems that needs to be operated on but it will be 4-5 months away.

I need to wear sunglasses to work to hide my eyes Luckily, I work mostly from home but once a week I need to be in the office. I have the encoder prizm dark golf (22% vlt) but I feel that people can still notice my eye problem. I also have the prizm sapphire (13% vlt) but it is a little too dark indoors.

Is VLT directly correspond to visibility of eyes behind sunglasses indoors? Is there a lens that has high vlt but hides the eyes well? Some eye visibility is fine but I feel that it needs to be darker than prizm dark golf. What is the best lens do you recommend?

thats a tough one. I like prizm road and can wear it indoors working out at gym and outside and eyes are hidden pretty good...Its one of the few i can wear indoors..but may not be dark enough for your needs.

thats a tough one. I like prizm road and can wear it indoors working out at gym and outside and eyes are hidden pretty good...Its one of the few i can wear indoors..but may not be dark enough for your needs.
Thank you, I think 18% to 20% vlt is what I need, I will try prizm road. I don't need it to be too dark and completely block the eyes which looks weird indoors, just hard for people see my eyes details clearly.

A low VLT alone isn't a guarantee your eyes will be hidden; more important is whether the lens has an iridium (reflective) coating. For instance, Prizm Daily Polarized is 14% but doesn't have an iridium coating, so your eyes can be seen.

The lightest everyday (non-situation-specific) iridium Prizm lens is Prizm Ruby (17%). You could try Prizm Road as noted, but I find its tint distracting for general use.
Oakley's site offers free returns for non-custom products, maybe take advantage of that.

Charles

A low VLT alone isn't a guarantee your eyes will be hidden; more important is whether the lens has an iridium (reflective) coating. For instance, Prizm Daily Polarized is 14% but doesn't have an iridium coating, so your eyes can be seen.

The lightest everyday (non-situation-specific) iridium Prizm lens is Prizm Ruby (17%). You could try Prizm Road as noted, but I find its tint distracting for general use.
Oakley's site offers free returns for non-custom products, maybe take advantage of that.

Charles
Is my Prizm Sapphire Iridium? It is very reflective.
Prizm Ruby may be too red for an office environment.
Most likely I will go with Prizm Road since it is darker than Dark Golf.

Is my Prizm Sapphire Iridium? It is very reflective.
Prizm Ruby may be too red for an office environment.
Most likely I will go with Prizm Road since it is darker than Dark Golf.
Yes, Prizm Sapphire has the iridium coating.
Do you mean Ruby will be too red from the outside or looking through it? Road looks redder from the outside, IMO, and also has a rosey/red tint looking through it. Ruby is a bronze base lens and will be more neutral, as it's not tuned to a specific situation.
Charles

Latest Posts

Back