• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Still deals to be had...

How can you stop scalping, really? Anybody who has sold a Romeo for more than $450, a Medusa set for more than $400, a 24k Juliet for more than $450, etc. has done this. We've all done it too.

How can you stop scalping, really? Anybody who has sold a Romeo for more than $450, a Medusa set for more than $400, a 24k Juliet for more than $450, etc. has done this. We've all done it too.

True and good point. Problem is a lot of people (myself especially) first heard of X-metals in 2012 and had to pay the built-in premiums for our X-metals since Day 1. The inflated price becomes the new "floor" and as time goes on and the market dictates the upward price movement, why not sell for the FMV at the time and make a profit? It's fair all around as far as I'm concerned.

That exchange rate translates to roughly $63 USD. If a person bought it for $63 USD and then sold it on here for $300 (just an example), would that be considered scalping? Technically (assuming it's in very good condition), $300 is still below FMV.

I get the strict definition of scalping (making an exorbitant profit), but I personally don't consider it scalping if it is sold for FMV or even below it, regardless of the cost basis of the seller. Just my thoughts on it.

That's a tricky question about a controversial subject that many feel strongly, and differently, about...

IMO, scalping is not just making an exorbitant profit. It's holding buyers hostage by taking a hard-to-find item and selling it for more than it's really worth, forcing people to pay the higher amount because they "have" to have it.

Back before the internet, I only heard the term scalping in this context applied to tickets to concerts and sports events. When tickets became available for general sale, some people would buy up large quantities before they sold out. Then they'd turn around and sell them at inflated prices to desperate people who "had" to go to the event, but had no other choice than to pay scalper prices because they were sold out through traditional channels. It wasn't technically illegal so people did it openly, but there were also hard feelings because, had the scalpers not bought so many up front, there would have been more available to everybody else at regular pricing.

With the broader marketplaces opened by e-commerce, the term was expanded to anything that fit that example - if there was only a limited quantity of something available, either due to limited production or discontinuation, buying them up at standard pricing then, when no more are available at that price, turning around and selling them for an inflated price; that's considered scalping.

But merely selling something for a profit is not scalping. Like it or not, this is a capitalist country, most of the world is capitalist, and that means selling for a profit. Unfortunately some have lost its origin and taken the concept of scalping to be selling for any sort of a profit, and that's just not correct.

Really, it doesn't matter what a seller paid for his item. If his price is fair, it's fair, regardless of the profit being made.

That's a tricky question about a controversial subject that many feel strongly, and differently, about...

IMO, scalping is not just making an exorbitant profit. It's holding buyers hostage by taking a hard-to-find item and selling it for more than it's really worth, forcing people to pay the higher amount because they "have" to have it.

Back before the internet, I only heard the term scalping in this context applied to tickets to concerts and sports events. When tickets became available for general sale, some people would buy up large quantities before they sold out. Then they'd turn around and sell them at inflated prices to desperate people who "had" to go to the event, but had no other choice than to pay scalper prices because they were sold out through traditional channels. It wasn't technically illegal so people did it openly, but there were also hard feelings because, had the scalpers not bought so many up front, there would have been more available to everybody else at regular pricing.

With the broader marketplaces opened by e-commerce, the term was expanded to anything that fit that example - if there was only a limited quantity of something available, either due to limited production or discontinuation, buying them up at standard pricing then, when no more are available at that price, turning around and selling them for an inflated price; that's considered scalping.

But merely selling something for a profit is not scalping. Like it or not, this is a capitalist country, most of the world is capitalist, and that means selling for a profit. Unfortunately some have lost its origin and taken the concept of scalping to be selling for any sort of a profit, and that's just not correct.

Really, it doesn't matter what a seller paid for his item. If his price is fair, it's fair, regardless of the profit being made.
Before the internet? :shock:

There is NO before the internet! :prankster:

someone snagged this from under my nose just as i was 'buying it now'!!
ff83e4babf9893c57d3fdb064edf634d.jpg

was really pi*%#d when i saw sellers other items - these sold a few minutes before
9ba5e8b590535743d570d59533d9493a.jpg

Back