• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Am I playing this Ebay situation right?

Sir Rossi

Oakley Enthusiast
Massachusetts
Okay so if any of yo remember, I was offering up a pair of my Hologram Foamposites on the forum here. No one was biting, so I threw it up on Ebay. Buy it now 350, Starting Bid 260. Bidding is at 275 right now, and I get a PM from someone looking to buy them outright. through texting, I tell him that I will only sell at $350 to him, F&F payment. He agreed and will pay tomorrow morning, and I will ship later tomorrow.

I am new to Ebay. Did I play that right? I figure if he was trying to scam me, F&F is my best bet to keep ME safe. What do y'all think?

In theory, it's against ebay rules to do a deal on a listed item outside of the auction. Because then they don't get their precious fees.

In practice, sounds safe to me. You could even be an a-hole and rip HIM off... :eek:
Now, now. we wouldn't want to ruin that 100% positive feedback rating.......
Some may frown upon it. Don't cancel the auction until you get paid, but that goes without saying..... I think.
Of course. that "first listing is free" nonsense is no to be messed around with

Okay so if any of yo remember, I was offering up a pair of my Hologram Foamposites on the forum here. No one was biting, so I threw it up on Ebay. Buy it now 350, Starting Bid 260. Bidding is at 275 right now, and I get a PM from someone looking to buy them outright. through texting, I tell him that I will only sell at $350 to him, F&F payment. He agreed and will pay tomorrow morning, and I will ship later tomorrow.

I am new to Ebay. Did I play that right? I figure if he was trying to scam me, F&F is my best bet to keep ME safe. What do y'all think?
Make sure you pull all the money out of your Paypal account and delink it from any of your accounts it can draw funds from. Just sayin. ;)

Do you mean he could potentially put a tap on my current account? HA. Joke's on him then... I have no money and a used AMEX gift card. My name is fake, and I change shipping address every time I use it. :cool-20:

Or does Ebay itself "tax" positive balances?

As a standalone exchange, I see you playing properly defensive

But with an ongoing auction involved, it's a bit shaky. I mean people here sometimes list stuff on exchange and eBay simultaneously, so this isn't anything new. I've generally seen listings pull out for presumably similar reasons or simply because the final bids weren't satisfying enough. Just..."ehh", because in this case he found you through that auction and you're evading their fees after they gave you exposure. It'd be different if he found you through here.

My ultimate approach to this is just make him go by standard procedure. With vehicles I know people who contact the dealer directly (usually to find reserve price) and carry out the auction like normal. But, technically nothing's actually stopping you from what you're doing. If the auction ends way later than he pays, you would be withdrawing it in a typical and technically appropriate fashion. If those two times are close, still nothing stopping you, but it's more likely gonna piss someone off.

Latest Posts

Back